1. Child Development and Pedagogy – 30 Marks
||Child Development (Elementary School Child)
- Concept of development and its relationship with learning
- Principles of the development of children
- Influence of Heredity & Environment
- Socialization processes: Social world & children (Teacher, Parents, Peers)
- Piaget, Kohlberg and Vygotsky: constructs and critical perspectives
- Concepts of child-centered and progressive education
- Critical perspective of the construct of Intelligence
- Multi Dimensional Intelligence
- Language & Thought
- Gender as a social construct; gender roles, gender-bias and educational practice
- Individual differences among learners, understanding differences based on diversity of language, caste, gender, community, religion etc.
- Distinction between Assessment for learning and assessment of learning; School-Based Assessment, Continuous & Comprehensive Evaluation: perspective and practice
- Formulating appropriate questions for assessing readiness levels of learners; for enhancing learning and critical thinking in the classroom and for assessing learner achievement.
||Concept of Inclusive education and understanding children with special needs
- Addressing learners from diverse backgrounds including disadvantaged and deprived
- Addressing the needs of children with learning difficulties, ‘impairment’ etc.
- Addressing the Talented, Creative, Specially abled Learners
||Learning and Pedagogy
- How children think and learn; how and why children ‘fail’ to achieve success in school performance.
- Basic processes of teaching and learning; children’s strategies of learning; learning as a social activity; social context of learning.
- Child as a problem solver and a ‘scientific investigator’
- Alternative conceptions of learning in children, understanding children’s ‘errors’ as significant steps in the learning process.
- Cognition & Emotions
- Motivation and learning
- Factors contributing to learning â personal & environmental